The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Victor Balderas honored as September’s NHS ‘Teacher of the Month’

Photo by: Tea Scarcelli

English Teacher Victor Balderas was voted ‘Teacher of the Month’ by Creek’s student body. National Honor Society (NHS) bestowed the award upon him in his classroom.
“It’s an honor that people actually took the time to say ‘thank you’,” Balderas said.
Balderas has been teaching for 22 years. According to Balderas, his students commended him on tending to their academic and emotional needs.
“If you like school, you’ll keep coming,” Balderas said. “So I think it’s important that kids enjoy school, and I try to give them a good experience.”
Many students struggle with English, but several of those in Balderas’ class enjoy learning and improving throughout the year.
“Mr. Balderas’ deadlines are reasonable and he helps out a lot when you’re stuck,” senior Asiful Huq said. “He also adds humor and sarcasm to his lessons which makes it [more engaging].”
The best part of teaching English, according to Balderas, is when students are invested in the material they’re reading.
“Our journey should be important, especially with the things we experience and the things we learn each day,” Balderas said.
NHS began polling students for nominees last year, and Math Teacher Dana White was the first teacher to receive the honor.
To vote for the next ‘Teacher of the Month,’ scan the QR Code given near the end of the month during second period.