The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Boys wrap up successful basketball season

Amidst the echoes of cheers, passes and squeaking shoes lies Cy Creek’s men’s basketball team in the spotlight. Both the JV (junior varsity) and varsity teams come together at each game to represent our school with their Cougar pride. With the season ending, the teams reflect and prepare for next season.

“This season was versatile, we’ve managed to learn [and gain] a lot, but we’ve also lost too,” Junior JV player George Heggins said. “We’ve spent our time figuring out what we needed to do, [and that’s] really helped us move forward this season, and will help us in the coming years.”

While it’s been Heggins first year on JV, he’s spent his life surrounded by basketball.

“Without basketball, I really wouldn’t know what I would be doing right now, or if I would be doing anything [at all,]” Heggins said.

According to several players, the training they are put through on the court extends to other parts of their life.

“Creek basketball will most definitely help me in the future,” Heggins said. “We’ve got routines we need to stick to, standards we hold ourselves to. The smallest things will come back up and help me later on, even if I’m not playing basketball.”

Most on the team have the same goal, to one day get an offer to play college-league basketball. But the area remains as competitive as it is on the court; both teams have something to prove and it is that they are worthy of an opportunity like that.

“Coach Troquet does a great job preparing us for the next level, he empowers discipline every day and keeps us focused so we never get off track,” Junior JV player Jayphon Duncan said.

Working hard to reach their dreams is an important part of their basketball culture.

“This team taught me that there is no straight path to success,” Tywan Collins, a Sophomore in Varsity said. “You need to build your way up there block by block.”

While they didn’t win every game, the season was still worthwhile for the teams.

“These were the people that taught me how to loosen up and really enjoy myself on the court,” Duncan said.

There is no doubt basketball is a rigorous sport that requires focus, dedication, and skill. However, these boys continue to bring a bit of fun into their games because of their passion for the sport.

“When you play basketball, you feel at peace,” Collins said. “Because when you’re with your brothers on the court, it’s a different level of fun.”