The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

BSU holds “Mental Health Matters” yoga event

Photo by: Courtesy of BSU

Highlighting positive ways to handle stress, Black Student Union (BSU) held a mental health awareness event in the Lego gym Oct. 5. The meeting allowed students to talk about mental health, finished with a yoga session.
African American History teacher Paris Sinclair opened up the event by talking about stress and encouraging mindfulness.
“Mindfulness is being aware of the situation before we react,” Sinclair said.
Students were asked how they deal with their own stress, and sleeping and listening to music were among the responses.
“Our bodies have no way of telling the difference between the different types of stress,” Sinclair said. “We will physically react in the same negative ways that stress affects our bodies.”
Sinclair later led everyone in a series of yoga stretches and breathing techniques to help relax the mind and body.
“Therapeutic,” is the word senior Maxwell Long-Craine, BSU Vice President, used to describe the meeting. “It helped me feel more open and relaxed.”
The event was open to the entire Creek community, and BSU advertised around campus prior to the event.
“We made flyers and pamphlets to help advertise for the event, then I got in contact with Ms. Sinclair for the presentation and yoga,” senior BSU President Christian Oliver said.