The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

New acceptable electronic use policy promotes engagement

It’s the question on everyone’s mind: ¨What’s with the new cell phone policy?¨ The policy doesn’t allow students to play on their phones during the day, listen to music in the halls, or even check the time on their Apple watches. Well, it is actually an Acceptable Electronic Use Policy, hence why it applies to more than phones.

Posters explaining the new electronics policy went up around campus at the start of the 2023-2024 school year. (Photo by: Brianna Sheen)

The policy states that all electronic devices must be on silent or vibrate mode from 7:15 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. including in hallways during passing periods. Confiscated phones may be subject to a $15 fee to return.

Principal Martin Drayton said the policy was put in place for the betterment of everyone at Creek – students, staff and admin – and research supports the idea that limiting electronic use promotes better mental and academic outcomes.

When students use their phones during instructional time, they may miss the information and have a harder time completing work. Doom Scrolling during class can cause your motivation to decline.

A study published by the American Medical Association shows that percent of school principals support restrictions on cell phone use and 80 percent say cell phones at school negatively affect academics and social development.

Most of the time students are on social media when they are on their phone, looking at the latest trends, aesthetically-pleasing photos, and other people’s day-to-day lives. Students might find themselves feeling like they are missing out on the things happening outside of school. This can cause students to feel self conscious about their place in the world. Drayton recognizes this, and he said he wants students to be more engaged and connected to the present than ever.

“Kids need to have conversations with one another and build those relationships in real life with one another,” Drayton said.

Compared to last year, many students are more engaged with each other and with their environment. Many more involved in class and more concentrated on the work when their phones are in their bags, rather than when they are temptingly within arm’s reach.

“It’s helped me do my work,” senior Sydney Aubrey said. “I was very bad at paying attention and staying focused on getting my work done in time.”

It can also help students interact with their peers. Teachers have commented that students are more social and involved this year than they were the years before.

“I see more focus, I see more engagement,” Audio Video Production teacher Donna Allen said.

However, because the policy does not allow students to be on their phones during the school day, students may have a harder time contacting parents and teachers.

“As a dancer, I always need to talk to my director or she might need me for something, and sometimes I can’t respond or I can’t meet her there because I don’t have my phone,” Aubrey said.

It is important to note that all classrooms and offices are equipped with corded telephones, and the Remind communication app is accessible via student ChromeBooks. These options facilitate parent and teacher communication, though they can prove less convenient than previous methods such as texting.

View Comments (1)