CCHS Press

The good, the bad, and the unnecessary

Movies that did not need to happen

Photo by: courtesy of Creative Commons

Photo by: courtesy of Creative Commons

Hollywood releases movies at an incredible rate, often churning out either masterpieces or total flops. Amidst this constant stream of new films, many movies seem destined to fail because of their lack of purpose. Between sequels, prequels and even a handful of original films, some movies simply never need to grace the silver screen.

Studios will often drag out a series because they want to make as much money off it as possible. Sequels can also prove problematic because they devalue the resolution of the original movie. Almost without fail, movies made for the primary purpose of raking in money underwhelm audiences and critics and can ruin perfectly good movie franchises.

Many films released in recent years fit this description, attracting negative press and critique from viewers.

Pixar notoriously pushes for sequels rather than creating new stories. “Toy Story 4,” set to come out in 2019, is a perfect example of a movie that doesn’t need to happen. While past “Toy Story” sequels have all received relatively good press because of Pixar’s exceptional ability to bring emotion to plot, “Toy Story 3” felt like a logical cap on the franchise. And yet, they are risking ruining the streak with a fourth movie that will most likely be an underwhelming successor to the third movie. Pixar has made similar mistakes with the Cars franchise, most notably with “Cars 2” which received a 39 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Even “Cars 3,” which came out over the summer and people generally considered it a good movie, brought in less money and received worse reviews than the original film.

In recent years, Disney started remaking their famous animated movies into live action films with identical plots and characters. So far, Disney’s remakes include “Cinderella,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Jungle Book,” with plans to release remakes of “Mulan,” “Dumbo” and “The Lion King.” Disney’s remakes rely on their nostalgia factor to make money, but overall they bring nothing new to the original movies. If Disney invested in original films instead of remakes, they would most likely expand their fan base and make better overall films.

Other film studios alongside Disney have shifted toward remakes. The new “Jumanji” movie, coming out December 20, will retell the plot of the original 1995 movie. Michael Bay currently plans on producing a remake of “The Birds,” the 1963 movie by Alfred Hitchcock. These movies provide examples of unnecessary films that will introduce nothing new and most likely flop among critics.

Hollywood has recently rebooted many franchises including Tomb Raider with a new movie set to come out in 2018. Reboots can sometimes improve an old franchise which can prove interesting for moviegoers, but more often than not, reboots simply rehash the original plot.

While many of these movies had high budgets, famous actors and relatively well-directed individual scenes, they were deemed failures because of their underwhelming plots. Energy spent by studios on sequels and cash grabs would be much better spent on brand new films with a focus on compelling plot and originality. A shift away from remakes and sequels will give hollywood movies a boost in the entertainment world.