CCHS Press

Officially Official

Seniors sign letters of intent for collegiate athletic careers

Photo by: Samantha Arzac
Miles Battle poses with family

Tears shed, high fives exchanged and cameras flashed as nine seniors signed the official document taking them to the next level. On February 7, seniors across the nation took part in National Signing Day pursing their athletic dreams.

Most high school athletes have dreamt of making it to the collegiate level to showcase their talents since the first day of practice. Two percent get the opportunity to actually turn this dream into a reality.

“This is crazy I’m actually about to graduate and go play for a college,” Senior defensive back Ladarius Anthony said, “It’s just awesome.”

Anthony will play football for Texas State University next year and he said he cannot wait to get on campus.

“When I got there it really just felt like home,” Anthony said. “The coaches there showed me a lot of love and the people there are just the best.”

Another star at Cy Creek, Megan Derouen, will attend the University of Houston, participating on the UH Cougars Cross Country and Track team. Derouen, surrounded by tons of friends and family, got the opportunity to officially sign her papers.

“When I first found out about the offer I was really happy and couldn’t believe it,” Derouen said. “I love the school and the program is for me.”

Four-star wide receiver Miles Battle, ranked 56 in Texas, signed to the University of Mississippi after receiving double-digit offers. Initially committed to Oregon University, Battle decommitted and signed to his “perfect fit.”

“[Ole Miss] is the best fit for me and for my family,” Battle said. “It’s all around just perfect.”

Battle chose Ole Miss over schools such as Baylor, LSU, Michigan State, OSU, and

Arkansas University. With no regrets, Battle prepares himself for the new terrain of college football.

“I‘m ready to get out there and hit the field, you know get to practicing, show what I can do and hopefully get some reps,” Battle said.

In addition, the following students also signed on Signing Day: Sam Rowland (East Texas Baptist- Baseball), Sarah Avant (St. Edwards University- Soccer), Cadey Jones (UT Permian Basin- Volleyball), Tristan Waddy (McPherson College- Football), Chris Gooding (Gardner-Webb- Soccer), and Trinity Metz (Centenary College of Louisiana- Soccer).