The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Seniors use FAFSA, online sources to secure financial aid

Photo by: Anjum Alam
Scholarship pamphlets and infographics can be found outside of the 1421 office.

Applying to college can be a daunting process, but Cy Creek faculty does their part to ensure all students receive ample opportunity to transition into this next chapter of their lives.
“It’s not as smooth as people would hope,” College and Career Specialist Amber Stephens said.

The Free Application for Federal and Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form used to determine financial aid eligibility for U.S. students. FAFSA underwent an update during the 2023-2024 school year.

“My hope is that as they continue to make updates to the system it will become more user friendly for the students and the families,” Stephens said.

Since FAFSA’s inception from the 1965 Higher Education Act, which originally had 108 questions, efforts to update the program have been geared toward making it more accessible.

“Those [students] that have gotten to finish it have said that it was really easy and that it didn’t take them long,” Stephens said.

Stephens is located in the 1421 office where students can find financial aid and scholarship information.

“Reporting scholarships is really important,” Secretary Mary Jo Thiel said.

Thiel is responsible for dispensing information on scholarship opportunities that can provide financial aid in addition to the funds provided by FAFSA.

“After spring break, we post [scholarships] as soon as they update their stuff,” Thiel said. “Going to the featured scholarships that I send to everyone through Remind is the best place to get current scholarships.”

Students have many avenues to receive financial aid and scholarships.
“When it came to scholarships, I used websites like Niche and Bold.org and I found myself being extremely successful,” senior Trinity Araiza said. Araiza said she earned 12 scholarships through these sources.
“Both websites had an amazing variety of scholarships for any student, and I would definitely recommend them,” Araiza said.
Securing financial aid can ease students’ worries during the college admissions process and can allow students to find the opportunities best suited for them.

“When it came to [choosing a] school, I knew I wanted to find a home where I could play beach volleyball and follow my career path,” Araiza said.

More information on financial aid, scholarships and all things college-admissions related can be found on Stephens’ website or on bulletin boards around the 1421 office.