The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Bowling team seeks recruits for upcoming season

The Bowling team, sponsored by math teacher John Henthorn, recently held tryouts and players this year are striking.
The growing program consists of 15 players as of now, but they are seeking new recruits.
Senior Kaidyn Williams is preparing for her upcoming varsity season.
“I’m excited as always,” Williams said. “Definitely because it’s my last year.”
Kaidyn’s passion for bowling comes from her family’s interest in the sport.
“We’ve been bowling ever since I came out of the womb to be honest,” Williams said.
When it comes to a loss in a bowling match, Williams prefers to stay calm.
“Just take a deep breath. Kumbaya. Boom. That’s it,” she said.
Varsity player and junior Kodie Sanders is looking to improve this season.
“My goal for the upcoming season is to continue to get better and continue to reach better goals than I had last season,” Sanders said.
Sanders’ pre-match routine is a structured one.
“I get mentally focused, remember what I’ve been taught,” he said. “Just try to execute the things that I’ve learned.”
Additionally, Sanders mentioned admiring Pete Weber, a professional bowler, for his dominating skills in the bowling world.
“I watch him all the time and try to learn from him and collect things that he does to put into my own game,” Sanders said.
Sophomore Owen [Jake] Ogden, a junior varsity player, is new to bowling and decided to try his hand at the sport this year.
“I tried out because my friend Kendall [junior Kendall Jackson] was on the bowling team,” Jake said. “He made Varsity last year as a first-year bowler, and I thought it sounded fun.”
Not knowing much about the sport but eager to learn more, Ogden went to the internet in search of tips and tricks.
“Immediately after I made the team, I started looking up YouTube videos and I found this guy named Darren Tang,” Jake said. “He’s a pro bowler, and he’s someone I admire.”
If you or someone you know is interested in joining the bowling team, please contact Mr. Henthorn in room 2342.