The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Speech and debate team sweep up competition

Lots of hardware: the team standing with their winnings. Photo courtesy of Cy Creek Speech and Debate

The Speech and Debate team competed at the Magnolia High School Debate Tournament on the 11th and 12th of January, and brought home over 23 awards and recognitions.

The team was rivaled by 20 other schools in the tournament, but won 1st place Overall Sweepstakes as well as many individual awards for students:

Junior Caro Achar became Tournament Champion for the Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking and Impromptu Speaking categories, and obtained 3rd place as Overall Speaker and Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking as well as 4th place in Poetry Interpretation. Junior Adolfo Munoz won 2nd place in Duo Interpretation and in Original Oratory and 6th place in Dramatic Interpretation.

Junior Nicole Tranchita obtained fifth place in Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking and sixth place in Original Oratory. Junior Emilce Alvarez won seventh place in Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking and in Original Oratory.

Sophomore Thomas Linden won third place in Humorous Interpretation and in Poetry Interpretation as well as sixth place in Duet Acting. Sophomores Haley Henson and Harland Ashby won fifth place Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking and sixth place Congressional Debate.

Finally, Junior Christian Kimbell, who won 2nd place in Duo Interpretation along with Munoz, and in Impromptu Speaking, third place in Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking, fifth place in Humorous Interpretation and in Poetry Interpretation, and sixth place in Duet Acting along Linden, managed to overcome a medical difficulty to obtain first  place Overall Speaker.

“We did very well that tournament, we had a lot of people from our team get to different finals and different events and get more points towards qualifying for state so it’s very exciting,” Kimbell said.