The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

AP and DC students save time, money

Dual Credit (DC) and Advanced Placement (AP) classes present an opportunity to experience what college classes are like in a high school setting, according to the American Institutes for Research (AIR), a nonpartisan and not-for-profit research center.

However, data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) shows only 59 percent of high school graduates earn a college degree within six years of graduating.
AP and DC classes can also look impressive on applications and resumes, but they also help prepare students for success in college.

“Personally, I’d like parents to know that Dual Credit and Advanced Placement classes provide great opportunities for Cy Creek students to experience college-level curriculum in the supportive environment of the high school classroom,” Academic Achievement Specialist Amber Stephens said.

Experiencing AP or DC classes in high school potentially helps students make a smoother transition to college.

Students can also transfer AP and DC credits earned in high school to college, saving money compared with traditional college tuition.

“The total value of their college credits, based on a Texas public college tuition average of $10,000 per 15 credit hours, was more than $322,600,” Stephens emphasized.

To be ready for AP or DC classes, students should consider their recent testing scores and class grades.

“To enroll in dual credit classes, students must meet both the high school prerequisites as well as meeting college readiness standards through their PSAT, EOC, SAT, or TSIA2 tests. To enroll in AP courses, students must meet the high school prerequisites as well as the grade requirements for enrollment into upper-level coursework,” Stephens said.