The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Teacher’s Pet: Staff share their furry friends

A Dachshund, a Border Collie mix, and an island cat – all of these animals bring comfort to the teachers of Cy Creek.

Volleyball and Softball Coach Taylor Warner has a playful four-month-old miniature Dachshund named Bonnie, from a breeder in Dallas.

“I knew I wanted a wiener dog,” Warner said.

When Warner saw Bonnie, she knew she was the dog for her. Bonnie loves to play tug-of-war and fetch.

“She put me on a better schedule because she wakes up on the dot at 5 a.m. every morning,” Warner said. “She definitely got me more active.”

Biology teacher Gigianna Santiago has a cat who immigrated to the U.S. from the island Saint Kitts, in the Caribbean. The cat, Moo Moo, is estimated to be six to seven years old. And yes, he has a Green Card, according to his mom.

Moo Moo was a failed foster pet that Santiago got from the veterinarian in 2016. He is an inside cat with an adventurous spirit.

“He would lay next to my belly and give comfort to my son,” Santiago said.

When her son was born, Moo Moo would stay near him in his crib. Now a couple of years later Moo Moo chases him around the house.

Spanish teacher and Softball coach Heydi Martinez owns a dog who is a mix between a Flat-coated Retriever and a Border Collie. Born in 2015, Champ is eight years old and was adopted from the pound in 2017 where he was saved from being put down by Martinez and her family.

“He is very overprotective of my kids,” Martinez said.

When Martinez was pregnant with her oldest child, they practiced different drills in keeping them safe. Now with Martinez’s youngest, if anyone messes with her youngest, Champ will be protective of him.

“He is always there whether you need him or not,” Martinez said.

Champ has impacted Martinez’s family a lot by providing comfort in difficult times.

Some of Champ’s favorite things to do are play fetch and chase. He is mainly an inside dog but likes to go on runs with Martinez’s family.