Back at it again

Five popular shows returning to mainstream media

Story by: Rayya Gordon, News Editor

Perhaps the big TV networks realized what their viewers really wanted, or maybe the industry just ran out of ideas. Whatever the reason, 2016 proved a big year for the reboots of several popular shows that ended, along with the return of a few cancelled series.

“The X-Files”

Fourteen years after the ninth season concluded in 2002, Mulder and Scully returned to Fox for a six-episode long 10th season, the last episode of which aired Feb. 22. The two lead characters dove right back into their science fiction investigations, just one of them concerning alien DNA threatening the world. Another renewal will largely depend on the public response and rating success of season 10.

“Fuller House”

The sequel to the popular ABC Family (now named Freeform) tv show “Full House” aired on Netflix Feb. 26 and already received the greenlight for a second season. The show now revolves around the eldest Tanner daughter DJ, and her efforts as a recently widowed mother of three. All the original actors reprised their roles except for Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who shared the role of Michelle Tanner.

“Roots”

A four-part series will air Memorial Day of next year, almost 40 years after Alex Haley’s epic drama debuted on ABC in 1977. The remake will feature a star-studded cast with big names such as Forest Whitaker and Anika Noni Rose and reportedly seeks to bring new perspectives and discussion to the well-worn topic of slavery and racism.

“Gilmore Girls”  

Although the complete cast and the launch date have stayed largely under wraps, Netflix confirmed plans to bring Stars Hollow back to prime time. Another concrete revelation: Melissa McCarthy will not reprise her role as Sookie St. James, best friend to the main character.

“High School Musical”

“Who says we have to let it go.” Disney has commenced a casting search for a new installment in popular series set at East High. The movie will revolve around the famous Wildcats and their new rivals, the West High Knights. The release date, as well as the possible return of previous cast members like Ashley Tisdale, remain unconfirmed.