The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Retiring Librarian Leaves Legacy of Literacy

One of Cy Creek’s most important Cougars has decided to retire this year, the Librarian and Technology Liaison, Barbara Johnson. Johnson has been in education for 31 years, and she has been a librarian for 27 of them.
Before becoming the librarian Cy Creek, Johnson was part of the opening of Cypress Ranch High School’s library.
“I was the first librarian there, so I got to pick all of the books that we started with and got to arrange the furniture and really get things going there at that campus,” Johnson said.
Johnson has worked with students of all ages, in whom she has left a legacy of literacy.
“My favorite memory will always be connecting kids to books and having them love books that I’ve recommended,” Johnson said. “And just seeing that joy of reading.”
Library Aide Denise Farish can attest to Johnson’s passion for reading.
“There’s 15 to 16 thousand books in the library, and I promise you, [Johnson] has read all but a few of them,” Farish said.
Beyond her wealth of experience, Johnson is driven by compassion.
“If you mess something up, we can fix it,” Farish said. “One of the things that’s best about her is we’ll just make it work however we need to make it work.”
Johnson’s knowledge and kindness are a staple in the Cy Creek community.
“[Johnson] has all the information, whatever I need,” Technical Consultant Michael Osueke said. “When I first came to the school, she showed me around the whole building.”
However, Johnson’s retirement means changes to Cy Creek’s library.
“Well, my departure will actually have a bigger impact than I anticipated, but that is because the Superintendent has decided to remove all the campus librarians,” Johnson said. “So I think that things will be very different. In a lot of different ways, it will impact our staff and the teaching support; it will impact students and books.”
Recently, CFISD cut back on expenditures for next year’s budget, which includes removing campus librarians and replacing them with four district librarians who will rotate between schools throughout the next academic year.
“I think we’ll miss her and we’ll miss her expertise,” Farish said. “But I think the campus as a whole are capable people and so we’ll get by, but it won’t be as easy.”
Senior Casey Binagia, who works in the library as a student assistant, has seen first hand some of the work Johnson does for the school.
“Students that know her will miss her, and new students who could use her help wouldn’t be able to get it,” Binagia said.
Johnson’s brighter future peaks over her horizon. While leaving Cy Creek, she leaves more than a legacy of literacy; she leaves one of kindness and guidance.
“Well, I’m very excited [for retirement]. I’m not exactly sure what’s going to happen next, but it’s time, so I’ll spend a couple months relaxing and getting my parents to doctor’s appointments [and] getting my son ready to go to high school next year,” Johnson said.
Despite entering her retirement, Johnson still focuses on being a helping hand to others.
“You know, just being able to relax and spend time, I hope that I get a bigger opportunity to volunteer at my son’s school and and help him make that transition like I’ve helped so many of the Cougars here and you know, just get him on the path to what happens next,” Johnson said. “So we’ll see what happens.”