The student news site of Cypress Creek High School

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

CCHS Press

Her Legacy: Honoring Women’s History at Creek

As March blossoms, our newspaper celebrates the rich and inspiring history of the women of Cy Creek.
One notable Cougar deserving of recognition is Rachel McNeill, a proud Creek graduate and Emmy-winning news reporter renowned throughout the South.

According to McNeill, chasing dreams as a woman can be difficult, especially as a mother.

“As a morning anchor, I started my day at 2:30 a.m., worked, drove kids to all the activities, made dinner for the family, went to bed and started it all over again,” McNeill said. “Moms are expected to do it all… but I’m grateful to have a supportive husband who helps tremendously.” McNeill is among the first women to be inducted into the school’s honor wall in 2013, alongside Katie Dildy Goossen, an ex-commander for the Air Force Academy.
However, over half of U.S. adults believe that women are not currently guaranteed equal opportunity in the nation, according to a 2020 poll by Pew Research Center.
According to Assistant Principal Doris Holden-Smith, her negative experience working corporate jobs led her to understand the importance of knowing your worth.
“Don’t worry about the next person. Know yourself and know your values, and stick to that no matter what,” Holden-Smith said.
The demand for women’s rights goes back decades to the 1800s with the Seneca Falls convention that peaceful protest across the country, and for thousands of women today, their fight is not over yet.
“From pay disparity to job discrimination, as a single woman, then especially as a working mother, there’s no question we are treated differently in the workplace.” McNeill said. “I’ve had to teach myself how to stay strong and stand up for yourself.”
This is where schools can come in and lift up students based on their skill and merit instead of gender or race.
“I discovered my love of television news during a ninth grade career exploration project at Cy Creek High.” McNeill said.
One way students are exploring their talents is within the Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFJROTC) program at Creek, which offers both boys and girls a place for companionship and discipline.

“I have not faced any issues for being a girl [in AFJROTC]. We have overcome [the history of gender inequality] and worked together as a team and as leaders.” Freshman Cadet
Jade Flores said.
The stories don’t end there for Creek. From our last principal, Vicki Snokhous, to new faces such as Associate Athletic Director Jordan Ayres, these women are part of our school’s legacy.