What’s going on in the world

A brief look into what’s happened in the world

Story by: Hala Khan, Co-Editor-in-Chief

CFISD/School

CFISD as finalist for $5 million grant: CFISD is among 10 finalists to win the Raising Blended Learners demonstration initiative, a $5 million grant. Representatives will attend a workshop in February and winners will be announced in April.

AP registration open: Registration for AP exams has officially opened. Students planning to take an AP exam must register by 11:59 p.m., March 18, 2016.

Derrick Anderson named “CFISD Student of the Week”: Senior Derrick Anderson serves as student assistant and has been noted as an ambitious student.

World

Attack on Turkey: After ISIS took responsibility for a suicide attack in Turkey, Turkish ground forces have struck back against the extremists.

El Chapo in custody: Mexican authorities have finally recaptured drug-industry executive El Chapo Guzman after his escape in July 2015.

Iran-U.S. sailor crisis: Iran took custody of 10 American sailors after they accidentally drifted into Iranian waters, but the issue was quickly resolved with the sailors’ releases the following morning.

South Korea fires warning shots: After issuing warning broadcasts against a suspected North Korean unidentified aircraft, South Korean military forces fired several warning shots, which resulted in the aircraft turning back around.

Vika virus could spread to most of North and South America: According to the World Health Organization, the mosquito spread Zika virus could make its way through both Americas.

Politics

Gun control actions: President Obama introduced new executive orders regarding background checks for gun buyers and better enforcement of existing laws concerning gun control, in order to reduce gun violence.

Ted Cruz birth issue: Many are concerned on whether or not Senator Ted Cruz is eligible to take office since he is a natural-born Canadian, but his mother was born in the United States.

State of the Union: President Obama gave his last State of the Union address focusing on the nation’s long-term future as he enters his final year in office.

U.S./State

12 missing after helicopters crash: Two marine helicopters reportedly collided off Hawaiian coast with 12 Marines onboard still missing. The status of the missing has now changed to deceased after five days of searching without prevail.

Massive blizzard hits East Coast: After a monumental winter storm, which sent parts of the coast into states of emergency, the east coast is now finding their way back to normal.

Entertainment

David Bowie: People all around the world have given tribute to renowned singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, painter and actor David Bowie after his passing from liver cancer on Jan. 10.

Alan Rickman: The world faced another blow after actor Alan Rickman, well-known for his role as Professor Snape, died after a battle with cancer on Jan. 14.

Sesame Street revamped: HBO will air Sesame Street’s return to television as it enters its 46th season.

Oscar nominations announced: The nominees for the 2016 Oscars awards were announced this past Thursday and have already faced backlash from critics and moviegoers alike for the lack of nominees of color.

Sports

St. Louis Rams to move to Los Angeles: NFL owners voted to approve the relocation of the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles despite fan retaliation.

Tennis match-fixing: Files recently exposed evidence of widespread match-fixing within the tennis world.

Super Bowl teams decided: The Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos will face of Feb. 7 at the 50th Super Bowl.

Science

Snowy owl caught on camera: A traffic camera in Montreal captures video of a Snowy Owl in flight.

Manatees no longer endangered: Manatees will soon be taken off the endangered species list after significant improvements in population and habitat conditions.